Tuesday, November 24, 2009







Hello family and friends!
How is everyone doing? I hope this last couple weeks has been well. It’s been a little bit since I last wrote a big one so I have a ton of stuff to update everyone with….
So I’m going to begin with 2 weeks ago from tomorrow. We had a zone conference and we had Larry Gibbins of the 2nd quorum of the 70 come and it was an amazing experience. He is a really great guy and very loving and very knowledgeable with the gospel and has a strong spirit about him. I know because at the end of the conference he called 10 people into a room and he interviewed them and I was one of them. It was amazing! I was able to experience first hand the power he had. He was able to discern my thoughts and I didn’t even say anything because he was asking questions that pierced me to the soul and they were just what I needed to hear. I felt so much better about the whole thing up here in this area.
Things were still a little rough here for the next couple days but I told Elder Gibbins that I would accept that I was here and then I would do my best and it really changed things a ton because things are getting a ton better here. I have learned that things are a ton about attitude though this experience and when you finally humble yourself and accept what the Lord has for you, you will do wonders. It is amazing how true that is. I have learned that because I have been able to really feel the Spirit this week. It has really been amazing. I can’t believe it. We have given a couple blessings this week and the people have wanted me to do them and when I get up there and put my hands on their head and I feel a burst of peace and love and warmth and words come flooding into my head and it is an incredible thing. I have come to really be a good instrument in the Lord’s hands finally. It has taken me a bit but this past week I have been doing good.
So down here in Visalia the work is going pretty good. A lot different but I have accepted it and have begun to like things. I still miss merced but the baptism really helped me feel a little closure which is nice. I still do miss it though. We have two amazing people we’re teaching. One is david and he has a date for December 12 and he is solid. He is a great guy and is really willing to learn and wants to be baptized because he feels at home in the church. Then we have Bryana Ervin and she is awesome too. She’s 14 and is a better 14 year old then I was at that time. She is going to church each week early morning seminary, reads, prays and does everything. The only problem is that her dad wont let her be baptized. So that’s the only thing keeping her back. Her dad will come around sometime hopefully. We just need to pray for her.
So before I get to the baptism I forgot to mention a funny story that happened last Monday. We went Frisbee golfing. Which is quite fun actually. We’ve been twice last Monday and yesterday. I got second place yesterday and only one stroke behind someone who has been playing for years and I beat someone who has been playing most his mission. So I’m not that bad. Haha but last week we were playing and elder llewelyn (my companion) was throwing it and it was a hole where it has to go over a river well he threw it and it was really good until it hit a tree and then it fell into the water. Well it wasn’t his frisby so he tried to get it out with a stick. Well the current was a little to strong for him and SPLASH! He went right in the river. It was SOOOOOOOOO funny! He got the Frisbee and then got out and was dripping. I was crying so hard because I was laughing. He said the water was so cold! Which just made me laugh even more. He’s one of the very few missionaries that gets to go swimming and can still be around to tell the tale.
So now for the baptism…. It was the greatest thing I can possibly think of. It was such a wonderful thing being able to go into the water and baptize Guyver Lee. It was so funny. I didn’t know what I was really doing at first and me and him are standing in the water. When we finally get situated I say the prayer and then I dunk him. Well I dunked him and right before I was able to lift him up DOINK! There goes his foot right out of the water. So we had to do it again. I just had to laugh and I was messing with him before we got ready for the next one. We he had gotten all the water out of his eyes I said it again and this time before I put him under I paused and told him to keep his feet down. I dunked him and held him under a little longer this time so I could quickly glance to see if all of him was under. He was so then I lifted him up and he was clean. It was the greatest thing being able to say the prayer and watch him go under the water and come back up perfectly clean. Words cannot describe the feelings I felt. They closed the curtain and the next thing I hear is a little splash and I look over and I see Guyver back in the water “what are you doing in there?” I asked “it’s cold out there!” that’s all he could say. I just had to laugh. There he was sitting on the last step and almost under the water again. I guess he needed a little more cleaning or something. But then his mom came and he went and got all dressed up and everything.
I loved being back up in merced it was nice and I really needed it because I can now say that my purpose being up there the first time is done until I get called back up there. So the baptism helped me out just as much as it helped Guyver out.

Well that has been my past few weeks. It’s pretty long as you can see. But I hope you liked it. Thanksgiving is in 2 days and I just want to tell all of you that I am thankful for wonderful family and friends like all of you. Well I can’t say friends because you are family as well. So this thanksgiving I am thankful not only for the chance to be a missionary and help people like my little buddy guyver lee but also because I have such amazing family backing me up the whole way like you.

I love all of you and miss all of you tons! Have a WONDERFUL HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!
Love
Elder Eddie Holloway


Pictures!!!!
So the pictures are a couple from the baptism with me guyver, his family, and the hmong missionaries, then there is one with me on the tree at the golf course. One of the Frisbees got caught so I climbed up this stick after I got lifted up and hung there and it fell down. Then there is a couple with me elder fox and Julia back in merced and in hmong clothes! They are pretty good looking huh?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment